How to Drive in Ireland
Driving in Ireland can be tricky. Here are some tips to ensure pleasant and safe driving.
- Docoments required: valid driver's license in English.
- Front seatbelts to be worn at all times (in the Republic); also rear seatbelts in the North.
- Children under age 12 must ride in rear seats.
- Unless otherwise indicated, speed limits are 30mph in cities, 60mph on the open road, motorways 70mph.
- Mileage is signposted in miles and kilometers.
- Traffic travels on the left-hand side of the road.
- Enter roundabouts on left, proceed in clockwise rotation, exiting at the appropriate road.
- One passes on the right, yields to oncoming traffic on the right at traffic circles.
- An imperial gallon of fuel currently costs about US$5.00.
- Filling stations are usually open until 8pm with a few open later.
- Ireland has severe drink driving penalties.
||Find the best Airfares|
Book dozens of Irish countryside and city tours, day trips, boat cruises, etc. online.